ABC Cancels ‘Last Man Standing’ After Six Seasons. Why? Too Conservative?

posted by Jay Weber -

My brother told me about this show.  He said it's got Midwestern themes.  Family values, talks about hunting, and every once in a while a joke or two about Obama and liberals.  Apparently I'm not the only one that feels the same way.  Here's the compete story from Variety.  I'll also include the comments from readers below.

via Variety

The Tim Allen comedy “Last Man Standing” has been canceled by ABC after six seasons.

The domestic comedy produced by 20th Century Fox TV was a durable player for the network in the Friday 8 p.m. berth, and it has been a solid performer for 20th TV in syndication. But ratings have waned in the show’s sixth season.

Nancy Travis, Hector Elizondo, Jonathan Adams, Christoph Sanders, Kaitlyn Dever, Molly Ephraim, Amanda Fuller, Jordan Masterson and Flynn Morrison also starred.

“Last Man Standing” was ahead of the curve in the cultural sense as Allen played a conservative-minded patriarch who runs a sporting goods store and opines about the modern world, including political topics such as Obamacare and environmental policy.

The cancellation and word that its 8:30 p.m. companion “Dr. Ken” is also on shaky ground suggests that ABC may be re-thinking its Friday 8-9 p.m. comedy berth after leading off the night with sitcoms since the fall of 2012.

HERE'S THE COMMENTS ON VARIETY'S PAGE click here for full page

• Linda Lou Fairbanks says:

May 11, 2017 at 5:03 am

You’ve got to be kidding! I have been an avid fan of this show since it first aired. This is a fantastic, realistic show, the writing is spot on. I’ll miss it.

• Jeff Reynolds (@SDDNOLE) says:

May 11, 2017 at 4:53 am

Pathetic. Only sitcom worth a darn on television. No wonder the networks are becoming irrelevant

• Lota says:

May 11, 2017 at 4:45 am

Scandalous! It is the only quality family sitcom on television, the old school goodness!

• Mimi Andrews says:

May 11, 2017 at 3:58 am

Last Man Standing is the only show we watch on the big 3 networks. I guess it’s now the last show we will every watch on the big 3 networks!!!!

• Susan taylor says:

May 11, 2017 at 3:31 am

This is the best show on Friday nights. Shame on you guys for canceling it. what are you going to replace it with? Another stupid reality show??? I guess I’ll go back to Netflix.

• Barb says:

May 11, 2017 at 3:30 am

Love this show! So sad it is cancelled. Tried to get on the website to vote that it not be cancelled and was could not get on. Tried several times. Same result! I guess the language and story lines were to clean. It may have to do with Hollywood throwing a temper tantrum because Trump was elected. Just sayin, not to many shoes that a conservative is part of the story line

• Mike Plummer says:

May 10, 2017 at 11:40 pm

That’s nonsense. Not cool ABC!

• The Truth says:

May 10, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Look at all these mad republicans LOL…. One episode of this mess was enough for me! Not surprised they cancelled it. I’m sure Tim Allen will survive!

• Gary Kee says:

May 10, 2017 at 9:37 pm

Please don’t stop it. It is all we look forward to at night. We love the reruns and it is so good. Do not cave to the Liberal Left.

• #SaveDallas says:

May 10, 2017 at 9:33 pm

ABC can **** off & TNT can still **** off for canceling DALLAS!

• Dan says:

May 10, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Once again ABC cancelled a staple of my tv viewing. This show always made me laugh out loud. As the father of girls, I could truly identify with Tim. Thanks Tim for your great show!! Boo to ABC for cancelling one of the few shows that I could watch unashamed with my family.

• Mary Susan Shaffer says:

May 10, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Best sitcom on TV! Right on target politically! Shame on ABC for being so cowardly.Tim Allen is my hero. BTW my grandson’s name is TIM ALLEN!!!!!

title